Help and Advice: 01782 286046
Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools Level 3
The aim of this qualification is to introduce learners to teaching and learning and upskill those currently working within a teaching role. This qualification will contribute to the skills, knowledge and overall performance of teaching and to aid career progression.
Workforce who directly support the teaching and learning of pupils or who wish to develop a new career in teaching and learning.
- Level 3 diploma in Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools
- Functional Skills in Maths and English Level 2
Entry to the course
There aren’t any specific recommended prior learning requirements for this qualification. However, learners might find it useful if they’ve already completed qualifications in a relevant area at level 2.
This qualification is suitable for learners aged 16 and above.
180 hours. This will consist of on-the-job work experience, 1-2-1 learning and group teaching.
This qualification can be completed over a time-scale to meet individual needs and work commitments. There is a minimum requirement of 6 months.
What will I study?
This course requires students to complete a number mandatory units, these include:
- Understand child and young person development
- Support children and young people’s health and safety
- Support learning activities
- Promote equality, diversity and inclusion in work with children and young people
- Schools as organisations
- Understand how to safeguard the wellbeing of children and young people
- Engage in personal development in health. Social care or children’s and young people’s settings
- Promote children and young people’s positive behaviour
- Development professional relationships with children. Young people and adults
- Support assessment for learning
- Communication and professional relationships with children young people and adults
Methods of recording study
Your qualification will be completed via paper based portfolio with interactive learning
The qualification requires the development of underpinning knowledge (theory) and observation in the workplace to demonstrate competence. You will complete the mandatory units (32 credit) and a selection of optional units to achieve the minimum 32 credit requirements.
Follow on courses
- NCFE level 3 certificate in cover supervision of pupils in school
- NCFE level 3 diploma in specialist support for teaching and learning in schools
- This qualification also allows progression into the workforce.
Following completion of your qualification I’m sure your next step is to find employment in your new career in education. Lets Academy have partnered with GB Recruitment to help you do just that! On completion of your qualification you will automatically receive an information pack from GB Recruitment about how they help you on your journey towards finding the right job for you.
To find out more please click here
Will I have to take an exam?
No , all of the qualification will be completed through course work and observations done by your teacher.
What support will I receive?
You will have taught based session fortnightly where you can ask for specific support. Your teacher will also make appointments to visit you in your placement. You can also make regular visits to your teacher to ensure that the work is being done and to provide some advice on anything you may be unsure about.
How much does the course cost?
The course costs £1,417. For advice and guidance about funding your course, please see our section on 24+ loans.
Do I have to be working/ volunteering in a school to be able to go onto the qualification?
No, it is not required for you to be in a placement, we will support you in finding a school suitable for your requirements.
What are the hours I need to input?
The hours you will be expected to dedicate vary. You will be expected to attend a fortnightly 3 hour taught based session where you will also be set further work to complete in your own time. You will also need to complete time at a school placement during the course. The guided learning hours is 180 hours spread across on the job work experience, 1-2-1 learning and group teaching.
How long does it last?
The qualification spans a minimum of 6 months but a maximum of 8 months.
What is a level 3 Supporting Teaching and Learning in School Qualification?
A Supporting Teaching and Learning in School Qualification consists of a mixture of taught based and work based sessions. This qualification will help give you the skills and knowledge to help you become a teaching assistant by allowing you to opportunities develop professionally. The qualification explores topics such as safeguarding, health and safety, professionalism etc.